[Research] Meeting with my phd supervisor
meeting with my phd supervisor: - let's test 9 groups (3 without location awareness, 3 with the synchronous tool and 3 without) and then we can refine the methodology: which independent variables using? are the video useful? what can we get from this?
- a good phd = 2 experiments
- think about the fact that CatchBob2 (there will be another name btw) might be developed by students as diploma work
- find scenarios for catchbob2! higher level, semantically richer, more cognitive demand (pierre still mentioned "la grosse boule") because "Even a dog can play catchbob"
- meeting to check the videos on thursday 27th (january)
- since it is a phd thesis in computational sciences, the focus will be headed towards the testing of a tool (in terms of the interface) and we need a model. The conclusion of the first experiment should inform the design of the second. We have to keep in mind the contribution to the field: it's not the system per se (even though it works really well).
I am wondering about a model of spatial awareness that could be decomposed as: 1. past position of the partner 2. present position of the partner 3. future position of the partner
Thanks to catchbob first experiment, we might find what is considered as relevant by the players (1/2/3) and that (for instance) a channel of communication is fundamental for using those location information.
Another dimension is the way the position is captured: automatically (by the system like the WiFi triangulation we already have) or explicitly described by the players. We should test which are more important in terms of task performance or collaborative processes by having other interfaces like: - a queue: asynchronous interface) - a nose: indication of the direction
Then we have the "location awareness modality" has an independent variable with different factors: - nothing - synchronous location awareness (information about the present: just a dot) - synchronous location awareness + direction (information about the possible future) - asynchronous location awareness (information about the past)